Support for Seniors
Norwescap’s Senior Services are designed to help older adults maintain their health, well-being, and independence. Services include:
- Health classes and workshops to increase physical activity, combat chronic disease, and prevent falls
- Home visits and telephone calls to isolated seniors via the Friendship at Heart program
- Counseling for Medicare and health insurance questions
- Support for seniors to maintain safe housing, and affordable housing at our Sussex Seniors apartments
- Volunteer opportunities via our AmeriCorps Seniors RSVP program
If you are interested in any of these programs, please reach out to our team at 1-888-387-9830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you 55 or older and are interested in volunteering, please complete an application.
Health Classes and Workshops
Norwescap offers a wide variety of programs that support the health of older adults. These include:
- Project Healthy Bones for osteoporosis prevention
- Take Control of Your Health for chronic disease management
- Move Today for increased physical activity
- A Matter of Balance for fall prevention
- Stress Busters for managing caregiver-related challenges
All courses are free of charge and open to any adult 55 and older. View our upcoming classes and workshops here.
Friendship at Heart
The Friendship at Heart program helps isolated seniors maintain independent living. A team of volunteers serve as Friendly Visitors or Telephone Reassurers, providing regular in-home or telephone outreach to keep seniors connected. The Senior Cents initiative adds a component of support around managing finances and paying bills.
Medicare and Health Insurance Counseling
Norwescap provides help to older adults in understanding their health benefits, including Medicare. Participants are matched with volunteers to provide one on one support. Contact Lisa Pino at email@example.com for more information.
Safe Housing for Seniors
Norwescap’s Safe Housing for Seniors Program helps older adults with small home repairs to help ensure their health and safety. These services are free of charge and available to all adults aged 60 and over in Hunterdon, Warren, and Sussex Counties.
Typical services include:
- Security measures
- Plumbing & electrical repairs
- Carpentry & masonry repairs
- Handicapped accessibility needs
- Energy conservation measures
To learn more about these services, please reach out to the contact in your county:
Hunterdon or Sussex Counties
Call Norwescap at (908) 454-4778
Contact the Division of Senior services at (908) 475-6591
Norwescap provides 11 units of affordable housing for seniors on Main Street in Sussex Borough, NJ. All units are currently occupied. To support the well-being of our residents and other community members, Norwescap operates the Sussex Borough Cultural and Community Center on the first floor of the building where Sussex Seniors is located. The SBCCC offers monthly events and workshops, an accessible computer lab, a weekly pop-up food pantry, and a wide variety of other activities that bring residents and others together to learn, engage, and have fun.
Other Programs that can provide assistance
Norwescap’s AmeriCorps programs enhance our mission by engaging part-time and full-time AmeriCorps service members to serve in key roles at in organization.
Health & Nutrition
Food is among every person’s most basic needs. Norwescap works to ensure that every individual and family in our region has access to adequate, healthy food and nutritional resources through our Food Bank and its partner network, along with our SNAP and WIC benefits assistance programs.
Financial Empowerment Centers
Norwescap’s Financial Empowerment Centers help people develop the financial habits and assets to achieve their dreams.