Last month, we at Norwescap combined forces with you to take bold actions in participating in September’s Hunger Action Month, (be sure to read that blog here if you missed it: Join Norwescap in Taking Action!) Now, as we transition into October, we shift our focus to another critical issue, Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This month is all about raising awareness, and here we aim to introduce you to Norwescap’s work, our dedication to cancer education, with a special focus on breast cancer.
Norwescap’s Commitment to Health:
Have you heard of Norwescap’s Health Connections program? Our Health team is unwavering in their commitment to promoting health and well-being for all individuals, working to ensure that everyone, regardless of their circumstances, has the opportunity to lead a healthy life. As we honor Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we take pride in providing access to FREE cancer screenings to people who are uninsured or underinsured. Last year, our Health Connections team, as part of Cancer Education and Early Detection (CEED) supported over 600 free screenings, with the majority being breast mammograms and ultrasounds.
Early detection is key, and it significantly improves the chances of successful treatment and recovery. Norwescap’s Health team is out in the community throughout the year, partnering with mobile mammogram units and hosting information tables at various events, ensuring we’re accessible to you. If you’re a resident of Warren County, we provide essential connections to free cancer screenings and support services for eligible households within the county. Be sure to read more on our page here: Health Connections (norwescap.org) or reach out to us directly at 908-387-9888, where our caring team is ready to assist you, in both English and Spanish. You can also come visit us on November 6 at our Back to Health fair in downtown Phillipsburg – click here for more information!
Cancer Education and Prevention:
We’re committed to raising awareness about cancer education and prevention. Here are three science-based steps anyone can take to reduce their overall cancer risk:
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices: Maintain a balanced diet, engage in regular exercise, and manage a healthy weight to lower your cancer risk.
- Regular Screenings: Annual check-ups, including mammograms, are essential for early cancer detection.
- Tobacco and Alcohol: Limit or avoid tobacco and alcohol consumption, as they are linked to an increased cancer risk.
Understanding Breast Cancer:
Breast cancer is a concerning health issue. Approximately 1 in 8 women will face a breast cancer diagnosis in their lifetime. Here are some additional steps to help reduce your risk of breast cancer:
- Getting Regular Screenings: Annual mammograms for women over 40 can detect cancer at its earliest stages.
- Self-Exams: Learn self-breast exams and report any changes to your healthcare provider.
- Knowing Your Family History: Understand your family’s cancer history, as genetics can play a role.
Pink It Out With Norwescap:
Show your solidarity and commitment to raising awareness about breast cancer by participating in “Pink It Out With Norwescap” on October 24. Simply wear pink, decorate your space, or even dress up your family pet in pink. Be a visible advocate for cancer education and early detection, emphasizing that Norwescap provides these crucial services. All of our staff are putting out their best “Pink It Out” energies and Norwescap will be posting that on our social media channels, so be sure to connect with us and check it out this month here: INSERT ALL THE SOCIAL CHANNEL LINKS. You are also invited to participate by posting your “Pink It Out With Norwescap” photos on social media. Be sure to tag Norwescap and use the hashtag: #onenorwescap!
If you’re interested in purchasing your own PINK Norwescap gear, you can show your Norwescap pride and support by shopping here: INSERT MOXIE STORE LINK HERE. These limited-edition pink items are ONLY available this month!
Upcoming Community Event:
Don’t miss Norwescap’s 3rd Annual Back to Health event on Monday, November 6, from 2 to 5. It will feature free food, refreshments, services, dental support for children, nutrition information, and more. This event brings the community together for a healthier future. Subscribe to our newsletter here to stay up on the latest events: INSERT LINK and check out our Current Events Calendar here: INSERT LINK
Norwescap’s Commitment to You:
Know that Norwescap has a rich history working with Cancer Education and Early Detection (CEED) programs. We’re here for you, ready to help and serve. Reach out to us if you need support or information related to cancer. Your health is our priority, and we’re here to support you on your journey to well-being. Together, let’s prioritize prevention and ensure a healthier future for our community.
by Dawn Hartfelder – updated 10/13/2023
- To learn more about how Norwescap Invests in Phillipsburg through events like this, please visit this page: Community Development (norwescap.org)
- To support Norwescap’s work with a monetary donation, please visit this link: Donate (norwescap.org)
- Follow, Like, and Friend Pork Roll Palooza and Norwescap to stay in touch: Norwescap LinkedIn, Pork Roll Palooza Facebook, Pork Roll Palooza Instagram, Norwescap YouTube and join the conversation using #OneNorwescap.
- Stay informed on topics like this and the current events happening at Norwescap by subscribing to our e-Newsletter