Job Summary: Housing & Energy Services
Position Available: Housing Specialist
Mail Application: Norwescap
Housing & Energy Services
350 Marshall Street
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865
Attn: Jennifer Butzgy
Job Location: Phillipsburg
A Norwescap Housing Specialist is a staff member who helps people at risk of homelessness have a safe and affordable place to live. They accomplish this by providing holistic support to the individuals and families in the communities we serve, partnering with them to assist in reaching their personal goals that will move them closer to a thriving state.
The Housing Specialists are responsible for connecting with individuals, assessing their needs, linking them to needed services, documenting the contacts and providing follow-up. This is crucial in our work to provide excellent customer service and ensuring that every person is connected to every service that can assist them.
The Housing Specialist reports directly to the Housing & Energy Services Program Manager. The Housing Specialist has direct contact with community partners, program participants, and the general public.
General Description of Position:
Under supervision, applies regulations and procedures to determine eligibility for Housing Programs and referrals for other social services utilizing technical knowledge in eligibility criteria and departmental processes; performs related duties as required.
The Housing Specialist will:
• Complete intake process for individuals in need of housing. Process includes assessment of need, determination of program eligibility in accordance with a variety of regulations and maintenance of all required documentation.
• Assist participants in the completion of applications and declaration forms upon which eligibility decisions are based, collecting information on gross earnings, financial obligations, parental status, disability status, and living arrangements
• Provide on-going case management services and support to participants, including referral to eligible housing and other related services (e.g. food, childcare, employment)
• Establish and maintain program participant files and create program goals for each participant Document work in HMIS and empowOR databases
• Process payments for rent and maintain a professional relationship with partner landlords
• Participate and/or serve on standing housing meetings, Continuum of Care (CoC) Meetings, Data Quality and Case Conferencing meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Working knowledge of standard office procedures
• Solid time management techniques
• Effective interpersonal and professional communication
• Ability to read and understand complex regulations and procedures
• Skills in use of computer applications including Microsoft Office and database systems
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to communicate with h persons from a variety of social, cultural, and economic backgrounds
• Working knowledge of social service systems
• Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
NORWESCAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Rate of Pay: $20.00
Required Level of Education:
Required Number of Month / Years Experience:
Required Degree or Formal Training:
Required License Certificate or Registration:
Deadline For Submission: 5/7/2021